Stuff I’ve done in the past two weeks.
- Moved. For the first time in my life; my parents have occupied the same house for longer than I’ve been alive, so I’d never moved before. That was my first time driving that long on the interstate, and I had a cat, a guitar, a ukulele, a younger brother, and a bunch of assorted stuff in the car with me. And people were being idiots on the road, changing their speed way more than was necessary, whipping around and doing stupid stuff. It was not a pleasant drive.
- Jacked up my foot. Sorry, feet. I wasn’t aware you could pull muscles in your feet??? But I think I did??? And I got a huge blister between my toes, and wow, yeah, no.
- Hauled loads of books, three fishtanks (two of them are small though), a heavy oak desk, a couch, a mattress, an armchair, most of my clothes, a working kitchen, and a whole bunch of other stuff into my apartment. My second-floor apartment. In a building with no elevator. I’m still missing a load of books.
- Signed a bunch of paperwork. Mom paid my tuition. I need to get off my butt and find the info I need to sign up for a parking pass for school.
- Discovered that I don’t have a dishwasher as I thought I did, but I do have a garbage disposal, which I thought I wouldn’t. This is a highly favorable tradeoff because of how much I cook.
- Cooked way more than usual because I do not own a microwave. This is turning out to be good for me, I think. I’m living mostly off of curry rice and stir fried whatever. I haven’t gotten tired of it yet. I did make sugar cookies and shared with my neighbors, though. Also a pease pie, although that’s a weird British thing done according to a recipe I made up inspired by a Terry Pratchett book, so I kept it to myself. It turned out saltier than I would have liked, but tasty all the same.
- Mostly re-set up my fishtanks. I still have a bucket of aquarium plants next to me.
- Worked on the YPN app. Did I mention that’s open source now??? You can contribute to it! Or just tell me how awful my code is! I know there’s crap in there I will very much hate in a year. Or a few months. Whatever.
- Read Lean In. I own both a GitHub account and bras, so it’s been heavily suggested to me for several years that I should read it. Despite the criticisms (and expecting them to be right), I read the book. It rather surprised me. I have a post under construction about it, but feminism is not one of my favorite topics to write about, and I find it hard to write about it in any sort of way I’m satisfied with.
- Discovered the cartoon Teen Titans Go! I watch easily more kids’ cartoons than any other kind of television. (British TV is up there.) It’s really funny and kind of brain dead, and that is all I ask of such things.
- The apartment smelled weird when I got here (I think they all do?), so I went all stereotypical middle class white girl on it with Bath and Body Works wall plugins and an assortment of scented candles. (I do like candles though.)
- Settled my cat in. He took the move pretty well; the biggest thing for him was the people who walk past our door, but he’s mostly gotten over that now. He still gives me the evil eye when it looks like I’m going to leave.
- Discovered the best Hy-Vee ever. It’s like a Whole Foods and a Schnuck’s in one building, but it’s a Hy-Vee. I bought some interesting food there to experiment. They had the Indian sauces I’d come for, but they also had legit, decent-quality ramen with no MSG, and some chicken apple sausages, and imitation crab meat (which means it’s mostly pollock, but it’s still tasty). The only things I left without that I wanted were lemongrass paste, which they were sold out of, and snack cakes, because they only sold one kind I didn’t like.
- Caught some kind of stupid virus that’s making me dizzy and faint and fuzzy-headed. My parents have caught it too, I think the stress weakened our immune systems. I can’t get work done in this state and it’s driving me mad.
- Despite that, watched a steady increase in the stability of my mental state. There was a lot of stress and anxiety floating around before the move, and we were all kind of feeding off each other. Let’s say–my tendency toward depression has a huge genetic component, and I’m glad Mom was there because even though she was pretty stressed out, she’s kind of always stressed out in one way or another and handles herself better than the rest of us. She knows when I’m having an anxiety attack, she knows what to say to make my dad stop being crazy and trying to move huge furniture by himself without even clearing a path first, she knows what will make my little brother feel better about Bekah moving away. Then she feels guilty for the fact that she can’t help us move stuff because of medical reasons, we all tell her that is stupid, she laughs and feels guilty anyway that she’s “not doing anything.”
Most of that was two weeks ago. We all survived.
The YPN app I’ve been working on is chugging along. Here, I’ll make a few screenshots to show you.
It looks kinda funny because it’s meant for a phone screen. It resizes just fine, I just forgot to resize the window for the screenshots.
Anyway, I’m the one who coded all this. Some other folks said they wanted to help over the summer, but they’ve forgotten, flaked out, or had Life intervene. (I know the feeling.)
Currently, my battle is with Kivy’s RecycleView: supposed to be a way to make scrolling lists of items using the MVC pattern. Obviously I need this for the discounts and newsletter pages. The problem is that RecycleView is a new and not well documented feature, and doesn’t actually even import properly yet, I assume unless you’re using the bleeding-edge dev version of Kivy. But that’s not for using–it’s too unstable for production use. So maybe I’ll have to use the deprecated (yes, deprecated even before the new one is out) ListView and ScrollView features. I know I’ve gotten those to work once before; I have old code to work from.
I really should merge back the mockups branch, now that I’m working on this. Note to self. I guess I still need to mock up the Search page, but I don’t even know if Kivy has features for that yet?
Also, I want to make it more obvious what page you’re on while you’re using the app. I think it’ll be a header in place of the search bar, in the normal page headers. That’ll be some goofy inheritance stuff to work with, though; I have the header as its own custom widget.
If you don’t know Kivy, the past three paragraphs may be incomprehensible. Sorry about that.
Anyway, the YPN people have no clue what I’ve been doing. I need to send them screenshots or something so they’re not afraid I’ve abandoned the project, too. Someone’s got to follow through on this thing.
I need a nap.